Friday, September 30, 2016

The Secret Life of Harrison Riehle

I have now made it somewhat of a tradition to watch “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” on the airplane every time I fly internationally. It’s about a normal guy who dreams about doing great things. But when everything in his life goes wrong, he goes on an adventure that takes him all over the world fulfilling his dreams and makes him see life in a new way. I guess you could say I can relate. I have made it to Ghana after all. I probably won’t be fight off any sharks or longboarding down scenic hills (unfortunately) but I am definitely going to have my fair share of adventures.

For one thing, I have definitely converted to the backpack travelers life. Never again will I drag around a hefty suitcase like a tourist. The way I went through security like a breeze, then stowing it on the plane and taking it in the taxi when I landed. I even carried it on my lap for the 5-hour bus ride to Takoradi. It’s nice to have all my belongings all together in one place and somewhat thief-proof. So to all of you reading this thinking about international travel, I highly recommend the backpack life.

These initial few weeks are going to be cleaning up what of Yenso is still running. The inventory of lamps we started with has finished and the sellers are left wanting. The problem is that, though we have no more inventory, we also have not collected the credit payments from all the customers to buy the next shipment. That has proved to be the most difficult. Everybody wants the lamp of course, but wanting to pay for it is a whole new issue. I have effectively ceased all sales until we are on a solid foundation again. It could take a few weeks to months. But if that’s needs to be done to get Yenso to work, we will do it.

The fact of the matter is, Yenso Solar WILL work. Perhaps not in a way we have figured out yet, but we can make it work. We have talked to a lot of haters and doubters and former mission presidents trying to drag us down telling us to stop right now and never try. To that I say Bull Crap. You will never succeed at something you don’t try and you will never enjoy a tall glass of chilled water as when you drink after a long hard day of hot hard work. Don’t be like those people who don’t try something because there is a chance you can fail because there in actuality, there is no such thing as failure. Failure is a state of mind. Lets say that Yenso Solar crashes and burns and everything we have worked for falls to shambles. Would that really be a complete failure? A complete waste of time? For me, no. This adventure of starting Yenso has taught me more about business and entrepreneurship than any class I could ever take, I have learned how to network and make relationships with people and truly care about them, I will have gotten to live in Ghana for five and a half months in 2016!! That is almost half a year in Africa that I never would have gotten. That is 100s of hours spent with the most amazing people who I have only grown to love even more since living here as a missionary. I now know the culture that much more, the food, the language, the lifestyle.

So to all those wanting to do something great but just never thought they could- Nike- Just Do It. You’ll never living your dream.

What I love most about “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” is the motto of Life Magazine. I have stolen it as my motto and also the lock screen of my iPhone.

To see the world
Things dangerous to come
To see behind walls
Draw closer to each other
And to feel
That is the purpose of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment